- Looking for links between Parkinson's and bipolar disorder
According to a recent review, individuals with bipolar disorder may have an increased risk of developing Parkinson's disease later in life.
- Can neurofeedback training increase self-esteem in depression?
A new study suggests that fMRI neurofeedback training can increase self-esteem in people with a history of depression by strengthening brain connectivity.
- Relaxation makes worriers more anxious
Relaxation techniques can, paradoxically, provoke anxiety in some people, and a new study suggests that this is because relaxation interrupts worrying.
- Depression: Brief change in diet may relieve symptoms
The role of nutrition in depression is an area of increasing research. A recent study tries a 3-week nutritional intervention and reports some success.
- What are the links between alcohol and anxiety?
Many people use alcohol to reduce anxiety, but it can end up making anxiety worse in the long term. Learn about the link between alcohol and anxiety, and tips for coping here.
- Deep brain stimulation can be effective for severe depression
A study that gathered data for at least 8 years has shown that deep brain stimulation can have a robust, sustained effect in people with severe depression.
- What to know about Xanax overdose
Taking too much Xanax can cause mild to serious side effects, and taking other drugs along with Xanax can increase the risk of overdose. Learn about the symptoms, risks, and treatments of a Xanax overdose here.
- What to know about pressure in the head
Here, we describe causes and treatments for a feeling of pressure in the head. Some underlying issues, such as sinus infections, are common and easy to treat. Learn more here.
- What does Xanax feel like?
Xanax is a benzodiazepine, a class of drug that treats anxiety and panic disorders. It usually takes less than an hour to kick in and has a calming, relaxing effect. Learn more here.
- What side effects can lithium cause?
Lithium is a drug that can prevent and treat manic episodes in people with bipolar disorder. Learn about the long term and short term side effects of lithium.
- Brain scans could help predict whether antidepressants will work
New research reveals how MRI scans and artificial intelligence can help identify brain patterns that predict responsiveness to certain antidepressants.
- Reasons for not losing weight on a keto diet
The keto diet involves restricting carbohydrate intake to encourage the body to burn fat instead of glucose. This article outlines 10 reasons why a person may not lose weight despite following the keto diet.
- How long does Xanax last?
Xanax is a benzodiazepine that treats anxiety and panic disorders. This article looks at how long its effects last, when the drug expires, what withdrawal is like, and other factors to consider.
- Anxiety: Are mitochondria involved?
Scientists link stress to disruptions in energy metabolism in mice and humans who have panic disorder, a form of anxiety disorder.
- Everything you need to know about chemical imbalances in the brain
While some chemical imbalances can be a factor in certain symptoms of mental health conditions, they do not tell the whole story. Learn more about the myths and facts here.